What a mess!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cracking up, Jul 20, 2010.

1. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I think I could be the poster girl for not letting your birds do whatever they want. My goose was broody for a long time so I ordered her a pair of goslings (she's a lone goose so her eggs weren't going to hatch).

[​IMG]

Meanwhile a couple of ducks went broody together and shared a nest next to her.

[​IMG]

By the time the goslings got here she wasn't broody anymore so we've been slowly trying to get her to accept them. So one day we see a little duck running around by itself. Apparently everyone wanted to be broody but no one wanted to be Mom.
    [​IMG]

We have another broody duck and when I checked on her today I was so excited to see a little yellow fluff - and two black fluffs.
    [​IMG]
    We don't have black ducks and when I looked closer she had hatched out Three Chickens! I don't want her to drown them and I'm wondering if I can sneak them away and put in the three day old duckling?

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Will the 3 gosling/ducklings accept her as Mom?

3. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I'm thinking of trying to get the goose to take the goslings and the duck to take the ducklings???

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Good luck, I will be watching to see how this turns out! I've never had any luck sneaking eggs or babies under broodies.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. *smacks self on head* That is sure 'nuff a tangle. I wouldn't know what to tell you. Hopefully, Mother Nature will sort things out.

6. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I could have sworn the duck was on duck eggs. The nine that haven't hatched might be. Boy I'm feeling dumb. If I give her the little duck and she accepts it she'll quit sitting - maybe I can give her extra eggs to Lucy and Ethel to hatch - maybe they'll even decide to raise them. I don't think I can leave her with the chicks tonight. It might be too late to smarten up.

7. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Well you guys were right. The little duck wouldn't stay with the mom, but I did sneak her chicks away. That needed to be done anyway. Now she's sitting on what I think are duck eggs. We'll know in a week. Little geese, duck, and chicks are all in the brooder - seem to be happy.

Thanks for all your help.

8. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Although complicated, this story is adorable. So many babies and Mamas!! You will sure have your hands full [​IMG]

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Very interesting to see what happens. [​IMG]

10. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Too cute!! Quite the cluster of Mama's and bebbies!!! [​IMG] just adorable!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by