What a pleasant surprise :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well my sister and I are not close at all. Like we fight CONSTANTLY . She has this little attitude ( young teen phase , you moms know what im talking about ) and we basically avoid each other at all cost.

I currently have two muscovy moms hatching eggs between today and the end of the month. She has never been a huge fan of my ducks because they are MINE and she isnt a very responsible pet owner so mom never let her have too many at one time, since mom and I end up taking care of all my sisters pets.

ANywho - today, Pigeon is finally hatching babies! its her first time and two are already out. Ive noticed my sister will walk across the road to Pigeons nest to check on her daily. Well I just txted her to let her know about the babies and this is the response I got :

"Omg i freakin love muscovy babies!! OMG"

Needless to say - I guess we just kind of bonded in a way. Im so amazed/ proud that she actually knew the breed! I just .. I dont know. THat little msg just meant alot to me I guess, and i just had to share [​IMG]

2. JosieR

JosieR Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    That's great! I don't see how anyone couldn't love duckies so maybe you can start building on this common ground [​IMG] Enjoy the babies (and your sister!)

3. Featherland

Featherland Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Love to hear about sisters connecting!

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    you must be so happy! me and my sister are really close so i can't really imagine what it would be like to not be.... i hope that lasts for you two, anyway [​IMG]

5. keep her involved, start treating her a bit more like an adult and ask her to check on the ducks and the babies and help you go out and feed them and stuff...Get her to help socialize the babies...You guys will really bond over that I bet since it seems you have a common ground the scovies. [​IMG] my friends are all awwing over my baby duck pictures and one stopped by today and fed the ducks with me since all of them (10) except mom and 8 babies came waddling up for snack time, and she had never been much into the ducks or chickens but she couldn't stop asking questions and talking about my buff orphingtons and runners. [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Now go and text her back. Tell her thanks, and that it meant a lot to you. Nothing wrong with showing some emotions.
    I bet you both have grown somewhat and perhaps you will get along within reason. Tell her that you are open to questions about ducks, if she is interested. Just don't push her. In a couple of years you both will laugh about the silly fights you had while growing up. Cherish each moment you guys have because you never know what can happen. I've lost both of my parents in a car accident when I was 14, and regret all the stupid things I've done or said to them. I've later lost my last relative, my grandmother, when I was 16. I tell it stinks growing up without anyone, and having to make a living at that age. It wasn't easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: