What a steal!!! Such a surplus of pumpkins!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmerGrant011, Oct 23, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I had a party and had people bring pumpkins and we carved them!!! What does this have to do with chickens you might be wondering?? Well, when all the scraps of pumpkin cut outs and seeds and gunk is left.... (light bulb!) Lots of free chicken food! And plus isn't pumpkins supposed to help with worms? So yeah... Basically what I'm saying...
    EVERYONE GO THROW A PUMPKIN CARVING PARTY!!!! lol. [​IMG]

Grant

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    awesome idea

3. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I read many people say how much their chickens loved pumpkin so I bought two small pie pumpkins for them, cut in third and gave it to them. They turned their little feathered backs on it. Picky, Picky, Picky!!

4. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Hadn't thought about giving the girls the pumpkin scraps...can't wait til we start carving!

5. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:How about a regular pumpkin cut in half??

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I put the word out a couple of weeks ago to all my friends to save me all the pumkin innards.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I ask people to give me their pumpkins after they have used them in fall displays....then I keep them over the winter and let them ferment. Chickens love them much more after they have fermented, so if they turn up their noses at them right now, just save those pumpkins, let 'em freeze, thaw, refreeze, etc. By early spring they will be moldy and flat...and livestock eat them like caviar!!!

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:So, if you let them decompose a bit, are they still beneficial as an aid in worm control?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I thought it's not safe to feed chickens moldy stuff

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:Fermented pumpkins are sometimes slightly moldy and fermented foods are good for livestock/chickens(think silage)....moldy grains, on the other hand, not so good. The seeds will still have the antihelminic affect that is desired and the nutritive value of the feed after fermentation is increased past just feeding the ripened pumpkins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by