1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

what a surprise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snowflake, Aug 22, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Crowing

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have had two hens mothering the same chicks for about 5weeks( both broody's hatched at the same time) to night the alpha hen( at least I thought she was) went back into the big coop and the other hen took over the 6 chicks. My EE seemed to have the most control over the brood, she clucked all the time to the chicks tried to cover all the babes and push out the Sussex. Some times the poor sussex would be throwing out food and looked around and the chicks were all over by the EE. I knew she was about ready to go back cause she started to bring them to the big coop for a look see about a week ago, but I sure was surprised tonight when I went to close the coop door and close down the tractors; and found just the Sussex with the chicks and the EE in the big coop . Didn't think she would just leave and not take them with her she was very protective up to know. I bet Sassy the Sussex is very happy to have them all to her self.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, that's very cool! Moms working together and sharing......Maybe your EE need a girl's night out! [​IMG]

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it reminds me of that kid's story about the two hens who both brooded and raised one chick cause a fox ate all the other eggs. i never quite got why the fox would take the eggs and not the hens and why the rooster wasn't around to fight it off, but, hey, it's just a story, i guess, if an inaccurate one.

4. snowflake

snowflake Crowing

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] didn't think about the girls night out, we all need that now & then. I thought her throat was getting soar from all the constant clucking.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    My orp broody only mothered her chicks for 4 weeks before she returned to the main coop. We were shocked. However, she spent the next 8 weeks near the window of the main coop where she could hear the babies overnight. And the first thing every morning, and if they started screaming, she went to check on them. Otherwise, they were independent.
    Obviously different moms have different methods!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by