What a sweetie my Mystery Chick is and my Dark Cornish Ham

beausonge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Kelso, WA
Hi All,

Many of you tried to help me identify what my Mystery Chick was. Many of you think he is a Partridge Cochin.

This little bird has turned out to be such a sweetie. There are a couple of hens that are with me because they just did not do well with the main flock at my neighbors. One of them is a cuckoo maran who had crooked toes and it looks like one of her legs doesn't bend right. I have straighened her toes and I am hoping the leg will get better. Anyhow, I have a rather aggressive RIR and it tends to pick on this one. This Cochin follows this cuckoo maran around and protects her from this RIR. He also nestles down with her and the Delaware and Araucana chicks in a protective ball. He is never aggressive with the RIR, he just blocks it.

The other chick I have seems to be a male cornish. I just love this little bird - he is the one as my avatar. He always runs to me, loves to hop on my hand or sit in it. I will stroke his back with my thumb and he chitter chatters away telling me about his day. I put a pole in their brooder - firmly duct taped to some pans so it doesn't roll. He walks along it and goes UNDER it chirping all the way. He is just such a cutie!

NOW I see why all of you love our chickens so much!

That RIR? I am thinking as soon as this snow clears, he is going back to the main brooder at my neighbor's house.

Awww! Be sure to post a photo of that little Cochin and the way he nestles down with his little girl friends. That should be really cute to see!

Back
Top Bottom