What a time for mothers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marvun22, Oct 7, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'm in North Dakota and we got our first snow last Friday. But in the past 3 weeks I've had 3 birds attempt to sit. 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte (who hatched this spring), 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Pekin Duck. I got the Pekin and Buff to give up after around 3 days. But my Golden Laced Wyandotte is the problem. Last time she tried to sit, I gave in and let her. Now she won't give up. She's been trying for about 3 weeks now. I just have to move her every night. She thinks since I gave in once that I'll give in again. Good luck bird.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    They really do seem to be determined this fall don't they. My bantams are all trying to go broody, don't they know it is October, have just about filled up the "break the broody cages" so they are just going to have to take turns.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I got mine trying to nest outside the coop in a place that is impossible to cover up from predators.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Put her in a wire bottom cage for a week. That usually does the trick.

She doesn't factor you into her broodiness at all, she doesn't think you'll give in. That's giving a bird way too much higher though processes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by