1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What a tough day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bren1222, May 9, 2008.

1. Bren1222

Bren1222 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    I know that compared to Cyn my day isn't so bad but I am feeling sorry for myself and I have to tell someone.

We have a young puppy (6 months)he is part English Setter part Sheltie. Needless to say he is a handful but really a loving dog just high energy. We just finished the run for our 3 laying hens and 30, 2 month old roosters we are raising for meat. We also have two cats that had 9 baby kittens about 6 weeks ago.

This morning I worked from 7-11am and when I pulled into the driveway I noticed the puppy had something in his mouth. It was one of our favorite kittens and she was dead. I have no idea how the puppy got the kitten. We have them blocked off in an area in our mud room (it has a doggy door) I was sure I had it secure enough that he couldn't get in there. I was soooo mad!

I went into the garage to check on our 37 one week old hen chicks and noticed that almost all of them have pasty butt! Some of them pretty severe. I took them all into the house and ran their bottoms under warm water and got them cleaned up but a couple hours later 2 had died! [​IMG]

Then I went to pick up my 4 yr old son at the babysitter later in the afternoon and while we were at my mother-in-law's lawn and garden shop picking up our garden plants my 9 yr old daughter called my cellphone. She is yelling at me telling me she just got off the school bus and the puppy had one of our laying hens in his mouth and he was trying to kill it. Needless to say I dropped everything, threw my son in the car, and went speeding the 2 miles out of town to our home. When I got home my daughter is crying and saying she tried to get the hen away from the puppy but she is so scared. I went running to the open faced building the puppy had the hen blocked into. The poor hen had hid her head behind some poles with her poor little bottom sticking out. I crawled under the poles and carefully got her out. I snuggled her up to me and gently spoke to her and checked her out. I didn't see any damage but the poor thing was so scared. I just can't figure out how she got out of the run unless she got out when I opened the door to the coop to feed them earlier. The run is 8 foot high so I can't see her flying over it.

I checked on her several times tonight and she seems fine I just feel so guilty! I told my husband that the puppy gets one more chance and then we are going to have to think about finding a new home for him. [​IMG]

Anyway, I am just pretty down and so scared that I am now in over my head. I really hope this doesn't happen again.

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My goodness! One crisis after another - I hope tomorrow is brighter. [​IMG]

3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Man, some days just dont go very good..... Unfortunately you pup has parents that are a herder and a bird dog. You will probably have to start restricting the free ranging of the pup until you can get him trained to know his limits. Glad to see another Iowan on the board!! What area are you in? Im between Waterloo and Cedar Rapids. Jenn

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I know exactly what you mean. I have had one rough week myself. It will get better though, you just hang in there. I would give the dog 1 more chance myself. Here we have a strike 3 and your out rule when it comes to cats and dogs. Do this tomorrow to today [​IMG]

edited for typo

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  5. Bren1222

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks everyone. I think I am done feeling sorry for myself.

My hubby and I spoke and decided to give the puppy another chance. This is as new to him as is it to us so we all have to learn together. I am going to start putting him in his kennel when I am not home. He is going to hate it but we don't have much of a choice at this point.

The pasty butt on the baby hens is getting better. I only had to clean 6 butts this morning. Happy Mother's Day to me! [​IMG]

The good news, I figured it would be quite awhile before the hen that got attacked started to lay again but we got an egg from her this morning. She is the only one that lays white eggs so we know it was from her.

I live 45 miles west of Des Moines. I am sick of this cold spring and the rain. It is only suppose to be 50 degrees today but tomorrow it looks like it should be low 70's. Looking forward to that!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, no need to compare troubles because they're YOURS and very important. Yours are no less than mine! Pasty bums are hard to deal with in numbers. Try getting some organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the sediment in it and add 2 tbsps to a quart waterer. That seems to help with pasty bums. Hope things look up for you. but dogs are tough. I just never allowed mine near the birds, period. Sometimes it's just easier to keep them separate than try to teach them to leave the birds alone.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  7. Bren1222

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks Cyn! I just feel for you and everything you are going through. I still have you in my prayers and check everyday to see how everyone is doing.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to go to the feed store and see what I can pick up tomorrow. They are better today but not cured!

We still don't know how the hen got out of the run but we are now going to put some flight netting over the top just in case she did fly out. The run is huge and it will be pricey but it will be worth it to keep them safe.

Hopefully we will both have a better week.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hopefully we will both have a better week.

I absolutely second that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by