what a trip

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bugkiller, Oct 15, 2015.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I don't think i will ever buy a chicken again. I hatched my own chicks in the spring and there finally laying. I have bought ready to lay sex links from a large hatchery in the past. They produce well but found them to be loud and anti social ( up to now i thought that was just how chickens were) I hatched 25 plymouth rocks and kept 4 pullets. gave the rest away to a friend who gave me the eggs to hatch. what a difference in temperament. my guess is cause they were handled from the day they were born ( probably a bit too much but could not keep my 6 yr old son away from them) when i or even my son go to the coop they run up to be pet. my son can pick them up and carry them every where. ( wife just LOVES when he brings them in the house LOL). They finally started to lay last week. Just want to say thanks to every one that gave advice or helped me from the start on this especially amylynn2374. for replying to all 1000000000 questions i asked. this was attempt 2 hatching and first was an epic fail and total disappointment. this time paid off.

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I think everyone has had experiences like that. My first chickens were 26 leghorn pullets that I got as chicks. There was one that followed me like a puppy and another that would try to draw blood. Needless to say, congratulations on the successful hatch and chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by