What a Week!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mak, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    And it's only Tuesday!

Went off to NY over the weekend for a chili cook off (last one of the season before the Worlds Championship right here in NH this weekend). Hubby is still chasing a red win. I have all 3 categories. (http://www.chilicookoff.com or http://www.chilicats.com for more info on that hobby of ours!) Took my laptop so I could maybe get some stuff done. Tried to use it Sat AM- no start up. Figured I'd let the battery run down and kicked myself mentally for not charging it night before. Got back to where we were staying, plugged it in, and still nothing. No power. Don't know if it is battery, power supply or computer, but it's dead!

Came home, hubby's computer is also dead! Bad disk. Got that recovered yesterday. Whew! Tho sitll a bit wanky, it is working.

I am on his laptop with the drive for mine connected. At least that is ok, so when I do get a new one, I can get all my "stuff."

A while ago, I found out I have a torn miniscus in my right knee. Orthopedic wanted to try cortisone, so I got that about a week ago. Better, but not perfect. So, Monday night, I crouched down to get something off the closet floor, and when I stood up, POP goes the knee and pain shoots through it. Eased after a few seconds and I figured, ok, rest it for the night, no problem, right? Wrong! Yesterday & today, it's swollen & ouchy, and even the circulating ice machine isn't taking it down. Appears I completely blew it out. Nice. Can't take any real pain meds, either, because I have a colonoscopy scheduled next week and none of the good stuff is allowed. Been resting it as much as possible, but I have a full week this week and next, what with Worlds and another cook off next weekend.

Ok, my rant is over. Not really wanting to sound whiny but geez! Needed to get it off my chest a bit. Looks like surgery is on the horizon for the knee at some point.

Then again- maybe the bad beginning of the week means I will win at Worlds, huh? [​IMG] And maybe the chickens will start laying eggs now, too! Double [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    wow- poor thing!! Sorry to hear - that's a lot going on. Good luck with the chili championship - sounds like fun! Keep us posted.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Sorry your week has been so bad!! Mine too - my 18 year old went to live with her grandparents on Sunday to do a college course for a year and my 21 year old went back to uni today for her masters!! I am alone here in my empty nest and it is awful [​IMG]

4. Mak

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Well, at least I'm not alone here. One daughter and hubby around to help out. Those first few weeks after they all leave are tough. Seems empty and quiet, doesn't it?

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:It is like a shell here and I can't imagine getting used to it - not long until holidays thank goodness!!

6. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I sooo completely understand!! I broke my shoulder in june/july, had surgery, was PTing my way back..and under orders to do more stretching other completed the tear or compounded a tear on my rotator cuff..So off to see the surgeon last mon. had to wait a day to see my doc for pain meds...which barely help... Have a ct scheduled an Friday...
    Can't work, am self employed...
    Good luck with the knee!!! ouch!![​IMG]

7. Mak

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Ouch on the shoulders! Hubby has had both shoulders worked on for bone spurs. Really painful till they got done. Same orthopedic, since I know he's good! And knees are his specialty! It's far better today. I think the icing finally got the swelling down enough that whatever popped out, popped back. At least I can walk without pain or hobbling now! And- two of the hens did decide to start laying today, so my week is getting much better!

8. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Had the surgery, not too too bad. The ice bag is your friend. When you have the physical therapy, remember that you have to be able to completely straighten out your leg or you will end up with a limp for life. Listen to your body!!
    Slinky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by