What a weekend!!! Poor puppy.... Need Hugs... (Cute Pics added)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sunny the Hippie Chick, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    It all began on saturday morning around 6am.. I was sleeping soundly and awoke to a small thunk and a terriable scream.. I guess some time in the night.. Or right at that moment.. Our chihuahua puppy fell off our bed.. I dont know if she was already up there. Or if she fell while trying to get up.. But any way.. I still was woke up to a puppy screaming..

I had to hold the poor crying pup till 9am when our vet office opened. We took her there. After 3 shots.. One to bring down swelling, one to make her drowsy, and one to dull the pain.. They took xrays of her to see if she had any thing broken. (The vet was very busy with life threatening emergencies that morning to.) The vet didnt notice any thing broken in her knee, foot, or any of the long bones.. So sent her home with some pain pills.. And said that she should start to use the leg by Monday.

Well it is Monday.. She still hasnt used her leg. So I took her back so the doc could see she wasnt using it.. Since it was a slower day. He took out the xrays to take a second look at them. Well he missed it.. Her shoulder blade is broke. Not bad. It has a small chip missing out of it. And that small piece is floating around. Doc said that she would have to wait till she is a bit older to take it out. That the break was not life threatening. And would cause a slight limp. Im glad she is ok and didnt get broke even worse.

What makes this really bad.. Is this puppy was sold. Not for much, but it was going to help me take one of my other dogs to the vet, which has a bad tooth and needs to be spayed. Money is tight right now. (This puppy was from an accidental mating) Now the buyer dont want her. Which I fully understand. But now we are out $218 for vet fees. And now no one wants a defective pup. And more to come when we need to get that bone chip removed.

So maybe there is a happy ending to this tail. This puppy was my favorite puppy out of the two. She was born breach and stopped breathing. I had to do puppy CPR to bring her back. I was the first thing she smelled after being born. And alway preferred to be with me over her mommy dog and brother. So I guess she is now a permenate member of the family.

I've lovingly accused her of getting hurt so she can stay.. You see the new owners were supposed to pick her up this Wednesday.

Just had to get this off of my chest. Sorry for typing errors.. I havent slept much since this has happened..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    So sorry about your puppy. I think she was meant to be with you though. Take care, everything will work out. I'd love to see a pic of her.

Get some sleep!

Nancy

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Ya it usually does work out in the end. Every thing happens for a reason..

I will take your advice and try to get some sleep as soon as I put the wash in the dryer.

Im having troubles sleeping because I want to make sure she dont hurt her self worse..

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Can you put pillows or something by your bed? Maybe you should consider crate training her as she heals and so she doesnt hurt herself more. I worry about my dogs all the time since they are doxie mixes and can hurt their backs. I have stairs for them and lots of dog beds, including ones that are next to my bed and on an ottoman that is shorter than my bed but still closer to me than the floor so they can sleep on that or it also helps them get on the bed.

Good luck!

Nancy

5. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] sorry to hear about the pup but glad it will have a loving home with you. Hope the pup has a speedy recovery. [​IMG]

6. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    First time posting a picture.. Hope it works.. I guess it did work. Ya I learned some thing new.. This is pictures of when she was about 7 weeks old. She is now 14 weeks old.. What a cutie..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  7. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    it's obvious. the pup was meant to be with you and she only had to find a way to convince you of that. [​IMG] i have a feeling this one will turn out to be very special. best of luck to you.

8. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    For the few people that I know have read this.. I thought I would update you on her progress of getting better..

She is now acting like her puppy self again. Playing and every thing.. She is pouncing on the other dogs and the cat. Which worries me that she will injure her self worse. She is now slightly moving her hurt leg. And once in awhile she will actually take a few tenderly steps with it.. But she still favors walking/running with 3 legs.

So hopefully in a few weeks she will heal enough you can barely notice she was hurt..

But I still have to find out from the vet when she should get the surgery.. If she appears fine and with out pain, would you still get the surgery done? The doc says it might not be nessesary. But I would still think the loose bone chip would hurt while rubbing on stuff. And she is young and would have to live with it for a long time. I think I will start saving up for the surgery now.. Even if it isnt nessesary, I think it would be in her best interest..

So I guess she is staying.. So the pet name I was using for her is now going to be her real name.. The pups name is Pudge... I called her that because she was the runt.. Then all of a sudden she out grew her brother.. We always said she was getting puddgie.. aka fat/bigger..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by