What about a cat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xjonesy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    I have 6 chicks that are almost 6 weeks old. They are still in my garage in a box staying warm, but as the weather warms up and as they get bigger I like to let them roam around the back yard.

The problem is, my neighbor has a cat that likes to roam my backyard when we're not out there. How old do chickens need to be before they're too big for a cat to attack? Or will a cat go after any chicken no matter how old or how big?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I know my cats are afraid of my chickens. They even leave the young ones alone now. But, 6 wks is still small and that cat hasn't been raised with the chickens, so I would be careful until they are full grown, about 4 months. The cat will become afraid when the chickens attack it!! [​IMG] But until then, be careful!

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    It depends on the cat. I have 3 mousers ans 1 non-mouser and none of them are overly interested in my chicks which are 1 and 2 weeks old. I would talk to your neighbor about introducing them (through a cage) to gauge his/her reaction to them. You will want to do this several times before you can get a true reading, though. My own cats were SUPER curious the first couple of times but not so much anymore. The dog is more of a worry to me because he has a tendency to stare at anything new and small (like the ferrets we used to own).

Are your chooks going to have free run of the back yard? Mine will be only if I am out with them. Other than that, they'll be in their run.

4. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    Great info -- thanks for the tips. No, they won't have complete rule of the yard -- they'll be in their run most of the time. I'd just like to be able to let them out of their run and not worry if I'm not out there. I'll take it slowly.

Thanks

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, depends on the cat. My barn cat is right now attacking my feet under the computer desk. If she was outside she'd be attacking my full grown chickens that are free-ranging.

6. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    cats can be so hard to read sometimes. My cat is a year old and is still playful and wants to bat at the chicks but in a playful manor but I still wouldn't trust him alone. We have neighbor cats that will come over our fence but usually I let my dogs out and they chase them back over the fence. I personally wouldn't let them free range if you aren't out there. I know I would just feel horrible if something happened to them and it is our responsibility as pet owns to keep them free from harm the best we can.

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    CATS!!!! LOL!! My full grown hens either ignore the feral cats or go after them. When I had my roo it didn't take any cat long to figure out there were better places to hunt.

A full grown standard hen has almost nothign to fear from a cat.

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    My cat's been terrified of chickens since we got the day-old chicks. She's positively terrified. And we don't put them out until they're big enough for any cat to fear so we have no problems.

9. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    We had a neighbor's flock that was recently attacked and killed by a stray. Even the Rooster. No one had seen the cat around before - it was caught in the act - and figured it was starving. But I don't know. I guess I don't trust cats.

10. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    If you really want somthing to terrify a cat sic a pack of ducks on them!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My 14 lb cat has learned to be very alert around the ducks after being cornered twice and having to be rescued. [​IMG][​IMG] They are fascinated by his long fur and obsessed with his tail. Pooor kitty. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by