what about a shed over the coop runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dinahmoe, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    hello all,
    i have 3 coops and several breeding pens.the biggest coop is 10x6 and the run is 10x20 chainlinked .the bantam pen is 4x4 with a run of 10x20 and the 3rd coop is 6x4 and a run of 10x20.they have extra roosting perches outside in the run as well for added space.they are all covered on top with kennel wire.
    they have plenty of room everywhere and they get to free range once a week.

my question is can/should i put a shed over the chicken yard?
    they are protected from the sun by the coop building and some have a shade cover.my problem is when it rains.because it is protected,it takes so long to dry out.they track mud inside their coop,onto the eggs and not to mention they get filthy from the breeding.
    it gets really hot and humid here in the summer,several weeks over 100 but in the winter ,they are all laying in the little sun they get trying to warm up.
    i have seen some of you guys have your chicken houses completely inside old barns.
    does the lack of sunlight have an effect on them?.

what are the pros and cons of this idea?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Are the runs bare ground? If there is no grass, maybe put sand out there.

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    yes,it is bare ground now.i have put several tractor loads of sand but after awhile ,it just turns back muddy again.it is not red mud like the clay we have here but just the black muddy stuff.they might enjoy the mud more than i like the way it looks.they seem to be happy in all aspects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by