What about chickens with turkeys?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken crazy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. chicken crazy

chicken crazy Out Of The Brooder

I heard that you could brood chickens with turkeys. Does anyone have experience with that and could give me some help. I'm concerned that the chicks will get too hot. Is this a huge problem?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The biggest risk is blackhead from chickens that is fatal to turkeys. People do keep them together though.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Brooding them together is a good idea. The problem with blackhead is introducing started birds (chickens and turkeys) thus introducing the risks. Brooding them together actually helps turkeys to build immunity and can work out fine. They should be brooded at the same temp if they are the same age. Just make sure there is room to get away from the heat for those who don't really need it and you should be fine.

Jody

4. chicken crazy

chicken crazy Out Of The Brooder

hickjc - when you say introducing started birds together how old do you mean? Mine will all be 1 day olds at the same time together. So do I put the heat lamp to the temperature for the turkeys? The lower of the turkey temperature?

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    When my turkeys were babies and I had other chicks they were all raised together and didnt have any problems...they all got the same feed and the turkeys get along better with the chickens since they were raise with them...
    this way all stayed healthy and happy together and I raised my guinneas together with the chickens and dont have any problems there either like some do...this is just what I did..

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    chicken crazy - by started I mean birds that have been exposed to soil (especially the chickens). Those are the ones at risk of blackhead and passing it on. Chickens carry it and turkeys will die from it.

For temps, both chickens and turkeys should be at about 95 F for the first week and reduce 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered. Also, by starting chicks and poults together, you have increased chance that your baby turkeys will learn to eat faster. Chicks tend to 'teach' them the way. Marbles in the water are also helpful for turkey poults.

Jody

7. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I was told running chickens and turkeys together would actually help the chicks be less susceptible to Mareks. As a child my dad always brooded them together with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by