What about Cleo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coloradowildflower, Jul 9, 2011.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    I have 3 Buff Brahma LF. They are 16 weeks old today. All three have very little comb/wattle development, are friendly but not aggressive, and would seem to be girls. However, Cleo here feathered out a little differently than the others, so she's got me worried she may surprise me by being a rooster. She is slightly less "fluffy" on her back than the other two, and her tail is sort of shaped a little differently, but I was hoping that was just normal variation among birds. What do you all think? Can I stop worrying or could she still turn out to be a he? Any specifics that lead you to believe one or the other?

Here are four shots of Cleo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    hen. i think you'd be hearing crowing by now if she was a cockeral. is she the dominant chicken in that coop? dominant hens sometimes develop roo-like qualities, even roo-ish feathering!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's a beautiful pullet.

4. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Girly girl [​IMG]

5. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    That is a hen, for sure [​IMG]

6. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Hooray! I just re-homed our ee who turned out to be a roo [​IMG] , so I'm extra happy that she is, in fact, a she! Thank you all for your input!!!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pullet!

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Quote:I know what you mean by roo-ish feathering. I had a couple that had a few curly tail feathers. Really had me worried as I had 11 roos out of 24 in that hatch. Good luck with your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by