what about dog food/ok or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosegal, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I started feeding my dogs raw, and have left over very expensive dry food that will go to waste.
    What do you think?
    La Donna
    up to 12 chickens

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Most chickens seem to love dog food. Mine eat it. But I feed the small bite size feed.

3. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    I have a VERY hard time keeping my chickens out of our dog food!! They LOVE IT.

4. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    If the dog food is soaked in water first there is less chance of it causing any swallowing problems. That is what we do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I would think it would be fine as treats, but since the nutritional requirements for dogs is going to be different for chickens, it may be missing some important. (Or have too much of something that may be harmful) To be safe, I would give it to them in moderation, but rely on chicken feed for the majority of the chicken's diet.

6. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Thanks, I tried a handful today, they ate a bit, but only when I crushed it up. At this rate, it will take a long time to get it consumed.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Put it in the dog's dish. Something about stealing it, maybe it makes it taste better. I don't think the poor dog has had a full meal since I got chickens.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would crumble it and give it to them as treats or donate it to your local animal shelter

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Put it in the dog's dish. Something about stealing it, maybe it makes it taste better. I don't think the poor dog has had a full meal since I got chickens.

Yeah... I have to feed the cats after the chickens are to bed, else they don't get to eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by