What about flies?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chrism, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chrism

chrism Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Zone 7A Central Va.
    I'm just getting started in my plans for a flock that'll be free ranged in a fenced in back yard. I'm concerned about the possibility of drawing flies. Does this become a problem?

2. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    Not with chickens, it shouldn't. Even from being chicks, they'll have a strong interest to pursue anything flying close enough for them to snatch it up. I have my coop next to a pond that has an exorbinant amount of mosquitoes, deer flies, etc. They love it when a fly enters the enclosed run area (and quite comical to see an entire flock go stampeding after it).

I have noticed a decrease in the number of insects directly around the coop/run area recently (maybe they're getting smarter). [​IMG]

3. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    if you do ens up with an issue shoot me a pm ive got a quick cheap fly trap that works great and i can get pics of.

4. chrism

chrism Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Zone 7A Central Va.
    A decrease...awesome! I live pretty rural so ticks, deer flies and such can be a problem so I didn't want to find out after the fact that I made it worse.

5. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    I can't say it's been a huge decrease, but they're definitely less near the coop (and almost none 'in' the coop/run). Makes it nice to be in there![​IMG]

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My chickens need to talk to your chickens- they ignore the flies completely, and I have WAY more flies than usual. [​IMG]

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have a few more flies because the mules are close by. I just put up some sticky traps. My son likes to see what we catch.

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    The flies here are HORRIBLE. PLEASE post your trap! We have fly strips, fly bags and the little yellow cardboard sticky things and they are still bad. We've ousted the compost pile hoping to stop their breeding grounds.

9. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    my girls ignore the flies. I hang a stickie strip in the coop and I also make it a point to hose down their outside area at least everyother day to breakup the poops so the flies don't have anywhere to land for long

10. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    My girls ignore the flies, too. Too well fed, I guess.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by