1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What about now or later?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mumofsix, Mar 5, 2014.

1. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    I planned to keep my Chicks all 26 in the house for a little while .They are due around march 15-18 [​IMG]. I want to build a plywood box 4x8 Covered and Heated on My porch to keep them close until Spring . How soon can I move them in here ??[​IMG] Somebody says from the start[​IMG].[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    They will need good ventilation so don't make the box too tightly enclosed. You won't want them in the house, more than a couple of days, as the dust will be tremendous.

It will depend on the temperature where you keep them. But a couple of pointers: more space is better, they are little when you get them, but will grow very rapidly. What seems like enough space the first day, probably won't be a week later.

Set up a heat lamp, but do not cover the whole box with heat lamps. This allows the chicks to move in and warm up, and move out and cool off. They know what temperature is best, let them have enough space to make the decision.

I am a believer in outside is best, and if you can do electricity outside in a shed, I would not bring them in the house at all, unless you are in severe winter weather.

Keep them dry, keep the bedding clean, keep them out of drafts, but the top open to get good ventilation and you should do well.

Mrs K

3. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    [​IMG]Thanks ! I think tomorrow start the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by