What about Pekins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Irondale11, May 16, 2009.

1. Irondale11

Irondale11 New Egg

May 16, 2009
    Hey guys, I figure many of you keep Pekins. Anyway, I have never owned any type of waterfowl or poultry before and I'm considering Pekin ducks, I've done some research, I'm looking for a duckling, what is your thinking of this species, I'd like to get one, and already found some nice youngies( [​IMG] ) Anyways, I appreciate your feedback.

2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Get two if you can..They really do better with another. Love the pekins.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    No, not 2-----As many as you can!![​IMG] You will love them. I have a pekin, KC. Cayuga and a swedish. They are a hoot to watch! We love em all.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree, get 2. I love my ducks. You won't be disappointed.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't have Pekings, but I am really loving the Welsh Harlequins I just got. They are really people friendly.

6. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have 5 Pekins and love them to bits!

Michelle

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    People have said they are a lot like dogs....follow you everywhere, etc...

8. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Whatever you decide to get, the babies make a MESS of the brooder. I have to do a complete change out 2 times a day for 3 ducks. They completely empty a one gallon waterer in less than 8 hours. I really enjoy my ducks, but be prepared for the mess. I will really enjoy them when they can go outside.

9. rytycatemom

rytycatemom New Egg

May 17, 2009
    McHenry
    We decided to get ducks this spring. We bought 4 from the local feed store, all were supposed to be pekins. However, 1 ended up being a Welsh Harlequin. They are all very friendly, but the WH is the leader of the pack. They all stick together and I would suggest always getting at least 2 or more. They are such fun to watch.

10. Irondale11

Irondale11 New Egg

May 16, 2009
    So what I'm hearing is they are dirty, which I am prepared for, they are a pleaser to have, which I would most definitely enjoy, and to get two if possible. My mom may not let me get two... would it work for me to get a tape recorder and record some backround pekin chirps for it? Also, does anyone have an idea of a better species, I like pekins, but I'm willing to listen to other peoples opinions.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by