1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What about quarantine? new mama question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bwebb7, Mar 6, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I have a hen that hatched 6 eggs (yay) But I have the same illness allot of you have-I bought more chicks today! (10) I have read where people pu new babies under mama. What about quarantine? won't she notice that she now has 16 and not 10?
    What do y'all think?
    Oh, I am concerned because I didn't notice pasty butts when we went and picked out cute lil fuzzies but 3-4 have poop stuck that I cleaned up and put mineral oil on.
    Thanks in advance

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are within a day or two of the same age and you put them under her at night, it might work... but I'd be out there at first light to supervise.

3. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    yeap! first thing in the morning...
    I tried that last summer...went out around 9 in the morning...she had destroyed them...they were one day younger than, the momma hens brood...wont do that again...with out doing a sunrise supervise...Good Luck:)

4. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    If I were to try this, I don't need to worry about the 3 weeks waiting for quarantine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by