What about the males?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennyhandler, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I hear of so many people hatching eggs sometimes 20 25 of them or more. Now, you can't tell me there isn't any little roos in there. What do ya'll do with all the extras? I know some eat them but I am a vegetarian. I would love to have a broody hen hatch some chicks but I am so scared that there will be more roosters than hens and I'll be stuck?
    What so ya'll think?

2. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Purebreeds you might be able to sell on or give away! We are meat eaters and of our last hatch we had two males and three females - we ate one of the males (xbreed) but the other, the Lavender Araucana, we gave away.

3. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't eat meat, either. But I do know a bunch of raptors at my local raptor rehab who do............

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Wouldn't mind finding one of those nearby for our extra cockrels to go to. Otherwise we raise them up and eat them.

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    eat em

6. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wouldn't mind finding one of those nearby for our extra cockrels to go to. Otherwise we raise them up and eat them.

That would definitely be the highest use for meat-eaters to employ. The rest of us have to settle for next-best use.

7. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I know someone who will eat them- me, I just can't do it. Put my Polish roos on Craigslist and had no problem giving them away. I had a silkie cross roo that I had my son kill because nobody wanted him and nobody was going to eat him!

8. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    We eat our extra roos but there are some of my egg buyers that wants me to process a roo for them so they can taste fresh chicken meat

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Give them away if you can't eat them.

10. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    [​IMG] Why dont you sell the males? ( or give em' to some one who will eat them)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by