What about the winter months...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JeninMN, Apr 25, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Is it true that we should close off the door to the run once the snow is on the ground? That they stay in their coop all winter long???

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I don't do that with mine--the coop would be unbearably filthy by the end of the winter. [​IMG]

Mine have year round access to their outdoor runs--and we have temps well below zero & 4+ feet of snow from around the end of October until at least March...

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    we leave our door open, it is a small hole, and they are fine, but when it gets below zero we close it, or if we are getting a snow storm, wind, ice..etc....
    mostly they go out on winter days and pick at the snow. the ducks love the snow.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My coop door is open all year too during the day. Somedays they don't go out much, but it's their choice.

5. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    That is what I thought...more advice from someone who we haven't been listening too anyway [​IMG] so we'll continue on with all your advice here! Thanks [​IMG]

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if i was you id let them out in their yard every day.now you might have to move snow so you can open the door.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My coop door opens into a small secure run 24/7. They come and go as they please.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    This past winter we unrolled one large bale of hay..not straw..in the run and we always close up the doors at night for security reasons. Chickens had a ball scratching through the hay for seeds and little insects who were hidden deep in the hay. It worked out great! Kept them up off the frozen ground, too.

9. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Mine were out in up to -20 C . They did fine, but preferred it when I put shavings down on top the snow, can't say I blame them [​IMG]

They enjoyed outside, and there was lots to do out there for them, I fed them lots of cooked oatmeal and plenty of scratch to help them stay warm.

At our coldest this last winter, we were -52 C. They were in the coop, locked up then, with a heat lamp, and faired fine, not even any frost bite.

Tanya

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  10. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We do ours just like Coyote. We are in the mid-atlantic area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by