What about water in the winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RickSr, Nov 10, 2016.

1. RickSr

RickSr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    This is my first winter with ducks. I heard that they can do fine without a swimming pool as long as they have a bucket of water deep enough to wash out their eyes and nostrils. I assume that water needs to be CLEAN. However, ducks backwash their food and mud into the water. How do you have water dedicated to head washing without their spoiling the water? Of course, you would change out the water every day, but is that really good enough?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

In the winter, I change the rubber tubs and buckets out at least twice a day (even more if it's really cold and the water's freezing quickly), and put out multiple water sources to increase the likelihood that they have clean water.

The water near the food will be the worst - with the backwashing of food, it turns into something like liquid glue and they can end up with stiff, even frozen, feathers if they can splash around in it. Keeping the water receptacles small enough to only allow their heads to access the water will help prevent "glued" feathers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I provide two water sources.....A heated Bucket and a Rubber stock bowl........I dump twice a day and provide fresh water....On warmer days I fill the kiddie pool to let the bath if the choose to......Helps keep feathers oiled and looking great! Also they totally enjoy it.....My POOL IS ONLY WHILE FREE RANGING.........

Cheers!

4. RickSr

Jan 28, 2015
    What water receptacles do you use that are small enough?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sorry I do not understand the question?

6. FoodFreedomNow

I use 2 gallon buckets/pails. They can get their whole heads in there, but it's too narrow and steep for them to climb into.

7. RickSr

Jan 28, 2015
    Thank you so much. You have been very helpful!

8. FoodFreedomNow

You're very welcome. Winter is challenging for duck-raising, but there are lots of helpful tips on here to make it more manageable. Here's a thread with discussion (a poster from MN uses a 5-gal heated waterer, but I think the ducks would try to get into something of that size): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/623372/how-do-you-keep-ducks-in-the-winter. I don't have power in the area where the ducks and chickens are watered, so I haul many 5-gal buckets of warm water out there in winter. It's a good workout. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by