What age and sex is my silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlicesSilkies, Nov 23, 2013.

1. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey byc gang

So i had a new chicken given to me which i have now named beans due to his/hers fascination with the baked beans [​IMG]

I was told she was hatched this spring which makes her old enough to lay eggs but none have appeared and she has
    become very dominant over my flock even bossing my lead hen around.......cockerel behaviour..????

Let me know what you think, its the silkie [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert on silkies as I don't have any but I think that that is a female. Even if it is a female you won't get any eggs for a couple of weeks as when hens are moved they go on an egg strike for a while until they get settled into their new home as the move can stress them.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A closer picture would help, as well as a picture of the comb. My guess would be pullet. As for her age, she does look like she was hatched in the spring.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

and not all breeds are fast to mature, she might just not be ready to lay yet. There is no age set in stone when a chicken should start laying.And like joelharris said they usually go on an egg strike when moved to a new place that they arent used to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by