What age are male ducks fertile?

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
I've been looking all over but I can't seem to find an answer to what age males are fertile? My Olivia started to lay on Monday and she was born March 1st, but I don't want to crack an egg to find out if it is fertile. Dips was born April 12 and I have seen him mating With Olivia every day for almost 2 months now. I was just wondering if anyone knows so I know weather or not to pick up her eggs if they aren't going to hatch when she starts to sit.

Just becuase you see him trying to mate with her doesnt assure the eggs will be fertile. He may be sterile- or just not know how to do the job properly yet- so the best way to test those eggs would be to crack a few open.
The first eggs laid can be fertile- but often the size and shell texture can vary greatly in the first few weeks of laying. You could try marking all the eggs she has already laid with the date you think she laid them ( after you break one or two open to see if they are fertile... )- then mark each egg with the date for the next week. After that- each day - write the date on the new egg laid- and remove the oldest from the nest. That way you will always have the freshest eggs in the nest should she go broody.

bow.gif
Thank you so much ducky! I was afraid to crack the eggs but I suppose it is a good idea seeing as the older they are the less chance they have of hatching anyway. I was watching them yesterday and poor Dips does have a tendency to fall off to the side before the deed is done. Here's hoping
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom