1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what age are ready t see?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new breeder, Dec 15, 2013.

1. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    i start this post with only this 2 questions...

A) how many days old must be the chick t understand what gender is?
    B) how many days old must be the chick t understand what breed is?

is my first time and i have some chicks (2 and 6 days old) i dont know what breed are the parents.... my mother take the egg's from some friends and i putthem for my firt time in the incubator....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There isn't a single answer. Much depends on breed, but also individual differences. You can be almost completely certain at one day old with Barred Plymouth Rocks or Dominiques, but it may take many weeks for Silkies. Sometimes a chick will stand so tall and carry itself in a way that male is a pretty safe bet at a few days or couple of weeks old.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

4. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    someone told me that the female will grow faster the feather in the tale....

and after 5 min another say that the rooster will grow first the feather in the tale.....

i think im going t wait a month t see more carefuly ...

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Wing feathering in females is true for most breeds. If you've chicks of the same breed and one has the downy look excepting wing feathers and the other looks downy all over still then your safe bet is the fast wing feathered one is pullet.

6. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    i have 10 that are tha same (they are smaller)

i dont know what kind of breeds they are.... i will see , in the close future :p

it will be surprice :p hahahahha[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by