What age can baby ducks be put with adule males?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tbitt, Aug 8, 2011.

1. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I have 4 adults that are an established “flock”

I also have 10 babies (born around June 20th) that are their own "flock".

I have both flocks separated and would LOVE to get them all in one flock soon. But with the adults, I have 2 males and 2 females. The females (one in particular) are being WAY over bred, and I have noticed the adult males paying WAY more attention to the babies then I like.

The babies are around 7 weeks old now, at what age will they be safe (breeding wise) around the adult males?

I have one male in with the babies (same age) and he has shown NO signs of being sexually active – I was going to use his activity as a sign that all the babies were “of age” and old enough that the adult males will not hurt the baby females.

I ended up moving the adult females in with the babies a bit ago just to give them a break from the over breeding. One was getting way too much attention and it was harming her (scabs). The 2 adults are starting to get along with the babies but not 100% yet (never any fighting). They do go into the house at night together so they have to get along.

But the males will not leave the side of the pen the babies and adult females are in. I think that is keeping the females from 100% integrating with the babies.

I am looking into rehoming one of the adult males…..just in case…..but I’d love to know when I can safely put them all together in the pen and in the house at night. (just after that I want to free range all the ducks and lock them up at night….right now the adults are the only ones free ranging during the day)

Thanks all!

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Well, I don't have a great answer for you, but I put my month old ducklings in my duck/chicken/llama pen. I have 3 young drakes (4 months old) already in the pen with 5 females.

I started with them in a cage in the pen for a week. After that, I opened the cage. They came out and explored. The older ones chased the younger ones out of various areas and then pretty much they assimilated in about 1-2 days. The big ones leave the little ones alone for the most part, but if the little ones feel threatened, they just run off to another part of the pen (it's big enough and outside).

My response is if you put the little ones in with the big ones, be sure they have enough room to get away. Beyond that, the ducks will do what they will do. YMMV [​IMG]

3. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I wish mine were closer in age, like yours SkyWarrier.
    Then I'd not worry about the older males hurting the younger females when they try tp breed them. [​IMG]

I'm not even sure when duck would be considered full grown. These are the first ducklings I've raised so I'm not sure when they start to breed.... [​IMG]

4. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Anyone else have any clue when baby ducks reach sexual maturity? [​IMG]

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

My boys started "exploring" around 3 1/2 months old. I know girls dont start till later though. Not sure how much later. I would wait untill they are at least fully feathered and then introduce them.

6. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Personally I wouldn't put them together until they are at least 5 months old. Some might put theirs together early but I'm not until mine are around 6 months.

7. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    They seem to be so grown up when you look at them...but then you add up how old they are, they are still babies.
    This is why I am wondering, they "look" old enought, but I am afraid they are not.

Thanks Rosebud

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My muscovy duckling looks grown up too but he's only 9 weeks old and way to young to be closed up with the adults. He can go out and hang around but has a way of escape if they start to bother him. The only way your going to know is to try it during the day so you can intervene if need be. Give lots of treats so the big guys are somewhat distracted.

9. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Ya, the adult males are fresh little jerks.

I had the babies out yesterday and the adult males kept coming over, I kept shoo'ing (is that a word?) them away, but once my back was turned (thanks hubby [​IMG] ) the one male charged the babies, he actually caught one of the Blue's by the feathers on her neck.

She did not give up, I got to them before he could stop her, let along mount her. Goodness was I mad....... He was chased across the yard - by me! [​IMG] he did not have it in him to try and come back [​IMG]

I can't chance it until they are mature enough...

Darn boys! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Why not simply fence off the boys and mix the ducklings and girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by