1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age can chicks go in with the bigger chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by americana-chick, Dec 11, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    The title says it all [​IMG] I am thinking about buying 7-8 week old marans (im sure they're not pure breds) but i would like them to be able to go into the pen with the bigger chickens first.. thanks!
    ~Bri

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I have introduced youngsters to bigger girls at approximately 12 weeks of age. They got picked on a bit, just until the pecking order was established. Nothing serious, just some lost tail feathers.

Of course, you're gonna want to quarantine the newbies anyways. I don't add anything to my flock that I didn't hatch.

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:I know the people who i am buying from though and i have seen their chickens and been around them befor so no need to quarantine them [​IMG] do you think 8 weeks is to early?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, 8 weeks is too early. They may be killed by the older ones. And, no matter where or who the birds came from, I'd still quarantine them. JMHO. You cannot see the carrier status of a bird just by looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by