What age can cockerels leave the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skippy1969, May 12, 2008.

1. skippy1969

skippy1969 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Australia
    Hi there

We have 3 cockerels that we need to sell because we don't have room in the flock for all 3. At what age should we sell them. They are 12 weeks old now. Two out of 3 are still following mother hen around the yard but I don't think it will be long before they are independent.

Thanks
    Dorothy

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    First are you sure they are Roos? (I Hate to see anyone get rid of anything.)
    Second do you really have to get rid of them?

They could go now if you really want them to. They are probably just use to their surroundings and like to follow her around.

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    12 weeks is a good time to get rid of Roo's. They are at the best age to be introduced to a new flock or be fatted for dinner.
    I just had to get rid of 7- its heartbreaking but necessary [​IMG].

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most of mine leave as soon as I can tell they're roos.....before 12 weeks.

5. skippy1969

Feb 5, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:Thanks for your reply. I'm not 100% certain but I am assuming 3 out of 4 are roosters because at 12 weeks old they are so tall and have very long legs compared to my hens. They also walk around with their heads very high, unlike the hens.

I don't want to get rid of them because I've grown very attached to them but we only have 6 hens and I read that you should only keep 1 rooster per 10 hens. I'm very tempted to keep one, but I am worried at how my neighbours will react.

From what I have been told they should start crowing at about 13 weeks so maybe I should wait a bit longer just to make 100% sure they are roosters first.

6. skippy1969

Feb 5, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:A few people have suggested that I keep them for future eating but I just can't 't do it and I don't really want them to goto anyone else for dinner either. I'm hoping they can go to a good home where they can just be roosters.[​IMG]

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Get more hens ..... than they would each have their own.

You can always keep your Roos seperate from the hens, I do.

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I understand completely Skippy. I was all hyped into getting an incubator and start hatching. Then got a dose of reality. What to do with the extra roo's? Out of 17 chicks there were 8 roos and I could only keep 1. I considered a bachelor flock for pest control but that would require another coop [​IMG]. I also though of raising them for meat but just could'nt do it. I had to give them away to what for most if not all is a dim future. All I can hope for is they are treated decent until they are processed.

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    It's definitely NOT easy the first time you butcher. BUT you are passing on the best tasting, better for you meat. Its hard to explain the difference. You have to experience it. Next time DON'T name your potential dinner.

10. skippy1969

Feb 5, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks again for your feedback everyone. I think I'll give it another week or two at least until they start crowing to make sure they are definately roosters, then I'll see if I can find a good home for them (hopefully someone who doesn't want to eat them).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by