What age can Dewlap Toulouse breed??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mommyofthree, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I am getting 2 female Dewlap Toulouse this weekend, along with 7 goslings that are about 3-4 months old. We are thinking of keeping a male gosling for breeding purposes, would that be okay if one of the females is his mother?? There's a chance they might not be related since the place they are coming from has other geese. If that's a bad idea maybe we can get a male somewhere else....

The females are about 2 years old and have hatched some goslings, how old does a male have to be before he can mate with the females?? We are hoping to have them breed in the Spring.

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Congratulations on getting your Dewlap Toulouse. We've had males fertilise eggs at 1 year old which also hatched and produced good goslings. However it does depend on the bloodlines, type and size. Some bloodlines which produce large, heavy and very 'typey' youngsters often mature slowly over 3 years. Sometimes they show little interest at a year old and become much more productive at 2 years old.

Overall I'd say probably 2 years old and despite popular belief the large ganders can mate very sucessfully and our own has produced some fine goslings this year and he's 9 years old next Spring.

Best of luck with them [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

3. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    at 2 or 3 years old.[​IMG]

4. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Thanks, I guess if we want goslings in the Spring we should look for an older male!! We just got the geese today, they are beautiful!! And they are so mellow, I am in love. [​IMG]

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Thats great news and it would be nice if you post some pictures. Dont give up on the eggs next year as the Gander may manage sucessfully, especially as he has mature females. Try to see which female he favours and run them in a private pen of their own from February. The pen will help him become territorial and they just may be sucessful. However do keep in mind the advice that males usually breed from 2 years old.

Best of luck with them.

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by