What age can I clip wings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jeevesrules, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    At What age is it OK for me to clip a chicks wings. They are currently about 7 and a half weeks old.

Thanks.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I don't see a problem doing it at any age you should be fine to do it now [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is from the Learning Center at the top of this page. You may have seen it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

One thing I'll mention. A young chicken will go through a couple of juvenile molts before it becomes an adult. It's growing so fast it outgrows its feathers and has to replace them. Obviously, the new feathers coming in will not be clipped.

Growing feathers have blood in the shaft. If you clip the growing feathers they might bleed. I've never tried this so I have no direct experience with it. I'm not sure how bad this bleeding might be.

Good luck!

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I had to clip wing feathers at about 3 weeks, as two of the little dinosaurs kept jumping/flying out of their enclosure in the house. No blood, no problems.

5. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    thanks everyone!! its not completely urgent as the only times they have been jumping over the fence is when I'm there but when they get bigger i will clip definitely! thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by