What age can I give chicks yogurt and some little weeds?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
My chicks are 6 days old. When can I start giving them some yogurt or grass in there brooder? They seem like they need something to do but they seem like they are a little young.

Willow's Meadow :

My chicks are 6 days old. When can I start giving them some yogurt or grass in there brooder? They seem like they need something to do but they seem like they are a little young.

i waited till they were all feathered in. Not sure if thats when your supposed to but they seemed old enough. Mine were on the ground by then...maybe it was 2 months.​

you can give them that almost as soon as they have hatched. in the wild, chicks have to be able to survive right away, so grass is fine and yogurt has calcium that helps to strengthen their little bones! give them this as a supplement to chick starter. when they're a little older, cream cheese spread over a bit of bread makes a fine treat as well!

Amazingly, once they all hatch hens take their brood right out into the big wide world- she's been starving for 3 weeks after all.

I've always given mine yogurt out of the box. As soon as theyre here. Along with anything else like that. In fact, I take my babies out into the yard at noon under the hot sun and let them scratch around for a few minutes until they start looking chilly.

100's of chickens and its never backfired on me.

I've got day old chicks & am considering feeding them yogurt in addition to their chick starter.

Would that be recomended?

Its just to make sure they don't lack in any essential nutrition. Once the weather improves & its hot again I'll be taking them outside in the afternoon for a peck around on the grass.
big_smile.png

My garden doesn't have any pesticides used on it etc so not too many worries...

I've always heard the calcium content in yogurt is a little high for young chicks, so for a treat I make scrambled eggs and sprinkle some probios powder (probiotic) on top and feed them that instead. I have given plain yogurt a few times, especially to one I suspected had sour crop but I don't feed it frequently enough to make a difference.

I've got day old chicks & am considering feeding them yogurt in addition to their chick starter.

Would that be recomended?

Its just to make sure they don't lack in any essential nutrition. Once the weather improves & its hot again I'll be taking them outside in the afternoon for a peck around on the grass.
big_smile.png

My garden doesn't have any pesticides used on it etc so not too many worries...
Lots and lots of people on this site rave about yogurt. My chicks never liked it, acted like I was killing them if I put it on their beaks
roll.png
I gave scrambled eggs and cheese to my young chicks, and I choose not to give these treats until they were around 3wks old. Chick starter has everything they need unless they are sick so I didn't feel like I had a good reason to feed them anything else.

Back
Top Bottom