1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age can I let chicks in the garden?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenLove6, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have six 3 day old light sussex cross silkie chicks, who are being raised by my broody hen. I have kept them in their coop, but my broody hen really wants to go out into the garden with them. When can I let her out? By the way I have six other chickens in my garden, including a rooster.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yep. Should be no problems letting them out........just be there to watch that no predators get to the chicks.

3. Bawc

Bawc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    GTA Ontario Canada
    I would let the hen decide what she wants to do but make sure your other chickens won't attack the chicks.

4. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    Great! Thank you guys!! I will just open their coop and see if they want to go into the garden! [​IMG]

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    The mother hen will likely have a few quick scuffles with the other hens if they get too close to her chicks, but once the hens know she is a mother, they will give her space.

Usually the roosters are great with the chicks and will help the mother hen to protect them and find food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by