What age can I put my baby chicks out with the adults

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken Egg 17, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hello I have two baby chicks that is inside here and they are really starting to smell and they are a month and half old I have a rooster and seven hens plus here is a turkey hen so when would they be able to go outside with the adult birds

2. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok well I just decided to try it and see how they do they love it out there and the rooster is pecking them a bit but not very hard I think he knows there young yet and the turkey seems scared of them

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A safe place for the chicks to escape into, but the adults can't fit is kind of important. Without a mother hen to protect them, introductions must be done slowly and carefully. Can you set up a temporary coop/run for the chicks next to the adult coop? Doesn't have to be fancy, a dog crate for sleeping and some wire for a run will work. That way, they can get used to each other in a safe manner.

4. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma

I second. It's like throwing them to the wolves, just like being shy around somebody you don't know. Compare yourself in events like a chicken, to me they're human too.

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Ya there is 7 chickens so they have plenty of space to get away from them they have a cage up off the ground a bit and they have a few roost in the run and the run is like 35 feet long and 11 feet wide so they have lots of space

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Well ya there my pets I don't eat eggs and I would never eat them but they can't stay inside any more they are really sticking and being in a 30 gallon tub they get bored and hop ontop of each other so I took them outside I brought them in now because the turkey is pecking at them and she has a sharper beak

7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Just make a circle of chicken wire inside your run and cut small openings where the chicks can rest without the adults pecking them. They really need a safe house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by