What age can I tell a rooster from a hen with silkies?

Do you have any pictures to help out?

As Silkies approach "laying age" you can tell more and more.
In my opinion, having Silkies the same age to compare helps out quite a bit.
Check for combs beginning, "streamers" in the hair, and more blue (also seems to be more vibrant) on the ear lobes -- these are rooster characteristics. The hens appear to have more of a round, ball-shaped head, versus the more "swooshed" back of the rooster.
Then, of course, look at the discrepancy in size to aid in determining gender.

Let us know if we can help out!

Thanks, I will look closely at the combs and the ear lobes. Will roosters have spurs?

Also, since you have silkies roughly the same age, are they roosting yet?... mine are not... they won't even use the ramp to get back in the coop at night, I have to put them in everynight by catching them and carrying them in.. getting old.

One of mine started crowing at 11/12 weeks.
lol.png

The other one has not however, and it still needs to be determined for the gender.
roll.png

Funny thing is I was convinced by the looks that the crower was more likely to be a girl. Very round and fluffy, the biggest wuss in the crowd and now the only one crowing among 7 Easter Egger roosters.

Last edited:
Quote:
At that age, it might be hard to see much of any spurs on most roosters.
I'm not even sure if our oldest rooster has noticeable spurs (but then again I don't check his feet under all his feathers).
lol.png

Our older silkies have roosted since we put them in the coop.
The middle group of silkies hangs out with the others their age (that they were raised with) and they seem to lay on the ground, outside. The smallest group (no silkies) roost outside and sleep there.

Depending on the temp outside, some may want to stay out there.
If they have a ramp to get back in, then I'd just let them do what they want to and/or put a roost or two outside for them to get on.

I have silkies too and I've been able to tell on mine almost 100% by week 6-10. Their shape (head, comb, over all size) is ALWAYS (at least in my case) much more different from boy to girl. The boys also seem to grow much faster than the girls (in my case at least). You should put a block or something they can jump on to get on the coop. Sometimes they are not the brightest
big_smile.png

You should also try to make them go on the ramp and off it too so they learn it is safe and it gets them in/out of the coop. If you post a pic I am sure we can help!!!

Thanks for the advice, I believe I wil put a small roost outside for them, they can get under my coop and that is where they huddle at night. The coop is 32" off the ground so there is plenty of room for them to roost at night. I only worry about the winters and if they would ever stay in the coop? I spent a lot of time for a coop they don't want to use..ugh!!

If you have a whole bunch of silkies hatched together, are the biggest ones more likely to be the roos? I know with non silkies, sometimes the smaller, less feathered ones turn out to be roos, but I know with my silkies I have smaller ones and gigantic ones. And at least one of the huge ones has the most 'roo-like' personalities. However, they are only 5 weeks old so I won't be able to tell for sure for some time!

Back
Top Bottom