What age can you introduce specific treats?

chickenbike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
I have 3 week old Patridge Chanteclers.

I have read Buff Hooligan's Chicken Treat Page and have offered them cooked oatmeal and raw oatmeal (crushed) with a tiny amount of plain yoghurt.

They have begun to play "keep away" with the chickweed and I'd love to see them go after other things.

Thanks!

We have multiple groups of chicks, poults, ducklings in brooders now and usually start with grass and weeds about 1 week. Never a lot to start with but just a little so they become familiar with us bringing them goodies. At 2 weeks they are calling us for a handout on a regular basis...We just add different kinds of treats to the more familiar ones and they gobble it all up. By the time they go outside and to the big penned areas they are well versed in running to meet us and get goodies. They are all healthy and growing up so fast. Today's treat is watermelon! Since the 2 week olds are white they will be covered in pink juice before long!
Sandbox Kids, Wisconsin

Oh yeah.....those little chicks will be pink for sure!
big_smile.png
Thanks for your advice!

I offered a new treat once a week from the time my chicks were almost 2 weeks old. I only offered one at a time in case something didn't agree with them, I would know exactly what it was. Now at almost 10 weeks old I pretty much know what their likes and dislikes are. Their list of favorites are: millet, watermelon, wild strawberries, hard boiled egg, and they like yogurt a little.
Remember treats should always be given in moderation. Never more than 10% of their daily intake.

My Orps and Comets have been very fond of uncooked oatmeal since they were 1 week old. At 3 weeks, I mixed up some yogurt and oat bran and they went crazy for it, and still do now at 5 weeks. They have been outside during the day for a full week now and forage for bugs and grasses all day long. I guess they are finding their own 'treats' now!

I bet they would like fruit yogurt, when mine are a bit older I will try that, We can give them fruit and yogurt why not together? It is worth a shot.

What kind of oatmeal? I have those packets of instant , just mix that in?

Back
Top Bottom