What age can you move baby chicks out into your flock of full grown hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fiefs20, Aug 8, 2014.

1. fiefs20

fiefs20 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    I have 5 hens in my coop. I am trying to figure out what age my 3 baby chicks can be integrated into the flock. They're fully feathered but much too small to take the pecking order as of right now. They can stand the weather right now though. My question is at what age do you think they're big enough to be integrated into the flock since my flock are all egg laying hens?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When they're the same size, especially since there are fewer of them.
    It depends a bit on the breed and the amount of space. You can try it now but be ready to separate them. Established flocks hate interlopers.
    You'll probably need to add food and water sources so the older hens don't starve the younger ones.

3. fiefs20

fiefs20 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks! I never even thought they might try and starve the young ones. I was thinking of trying to put them in with the flock now but they're only 6 weeks and still so small so I don't think they'll survive if I tried now. I was thinking they'd be at a better advantage around 12 weeks, but it's been a while since I've had babies so I don't really remember how big they are by that time

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're about 2/3-3/4 grown at 12 weeks.

Any new bird is a threat to the health of the flock in their minds. They will protect their food and water sources from the outsiders until they're accepted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by