What age can you sex Sumatra?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wolf-Kim, May 17, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have only dealt with single comb dual purpose breeds, so far. I can tell what sex they are within a few weeks of hatching, I just have to look for those larger combs and wattles that just seem to 'pop' out and I know which are cockerels.

I have six Sumatra chicks that are several weeks old. I know they aren't suppose to have noticeable wattles or large combs, so I guess my only option would be waiting for those sex feathers.

How old were your Sumatra before you could tell the girls from the boys? How did you tell them apart?(details are appreciated)

I could get pictures if that is a 'must', they are really flighty right now and picture taking would be difficult.

Thanks
    -Kim

2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Kim,
    The better quality the harder they are to sex by the comb.
    The sex feathers are generally the best way but I had them almost 6 months old till I could tell.
    I no longer have them because I sold them last year when I was very sick.
    I had blacks and PURE whites and sold them to someone I knew locally but he is tough to get any bird out of him(the breeder person) for some reason. Harry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by