what age can you still mix baby chicks

hesterken

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Gloucester, VA
I just got some day old Columbia Rocks chicks (10). The local feed store was giving them away free when you buy a bag of chick starter feed. I went to the feed store because I'm getting a shipment of day old Sex Link checks (10) in about 3 days. Now that I have the free chicks plus the mail order chicks are coming soon I'm worried the first group of chicks may be too old to mix the new ones in with under the same brooder. They will be almost a week old when the second bunch arrive. Can I still but them all in the same brooder or should I build a second brooder. I was hoping to keep them all together thinking it would be easier if they grow up together then introducing them to each other later on as I only have one large coop so the flock has to roost together sooner or later.

thanks for the response. I didn't think it would be seeing as there is only about 5 days difference in age but thought it best to check before actually doing it.

Quote:
I have but it was 3 smaller ones and 1 bigger one that was really docile and sweet. They turned out to be friends. The same docile chick was put in the pen with 1 chick older than it and it tried to beat him up and I seperated them....so it just depends. Watch the birds and just see what happens, it may work and it may not.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have but it was 3 smaller ones and 1 bigger one that was really docile and sweet. They turned out to be friends. The same docile chick was put in the pen with 1 chick older than it and it tried to beat him up and I seperated them....so it just depends. Watch the birds and just see what happens, it may work and it may not.
big_smile.png

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom