What age can you tell gender by voice?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Anira, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I bought a few keets last week on Thursday, and I understand the only sure way to tell gender is by voice. I'm wondering if you have to wait for them to get their "adult" voices before you can tell gender? One of the keets starting making some sort of two-toned peep noise. I thought it was my budgie at first.

I don't figure you can tell this early, it was just a different noise coming from them, and I think only one is doing it.

Quite frankly, the reason I thought it was my budgie is because it sounded vaguely like "pretty bird" which is what I've been trying to get him to say. I may just be delusional. Won't rule out that possibility...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. ccstar800

ccstar800 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    I dont really know but some of them you can tell by their voices and others you cant.

3. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I know of people who have had hens buck-wheat as early as 6 weeks old. I have not heard any of my hens buck-wheat until they are around 4 months old.

I have been able to do very well vent sexing males at 6 weeks old by seeing their developing penis. Unfortunately I did not come across any female keets last year when I was doing the vent sexing. All of the keets that I thought were males did indeed turn out to be males.

4. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I can upload a video of the noise to Facebook (mobile), but I don't have the internet access to upload to YouTube or anything. It's not a "buck-wheat" sound, but a similar two-toned peep of sorts. I am fairly certain only one of them is making the noise, which is the only reason I'm wondering about it. If they all were doing it, I would assume it was their normal sound.

I'm not comfortable with vent sexing, as I have never done it before and don't want to injure them.

5. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
  6. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've had a few female keets that would 'buckwheat' at 4 weeks old. The majority of mine are usually around 6 to 7 weeks old. A few did not 'buckwheat' until 3 months old. So it varies by the individual female. What you are hearing now may be normal peeping which any of them can do. But when you hear a 'buckwheat' you will know it. [​IMG]

7. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I thought it might be just a normal sound they make, but only one is doing it, the other two just do regular peeping, which is why I questioned it.

I'll just have to wait and see.

8. BarbaraNH

BarbaraNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    I've never heard it myself, but I've been told by a few guinea fowl keepers that they've heard female voices very early on with their keets. One lady said that she heard something that sounded like "prea-cher, prea-cher." That's very similar to what I hear from your keet. I think you may very well have an early female talker. Be careful what you wish for, though. She may be one of those females that never stops calling out even as an adult!

9. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I have a turkey hen that yells all the time, so I doubt a guinea would be any worse.

The turkey yells because she doesn't like strangers or she hears my voice and wants my attention.

10. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I have both guineas and turkeys and there is no contest. The guinea hens win easily for being the noisiest between guineas and turkey hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by