What age can you tell sex?

crazymom06

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2019
I've never had chickens before so I really am at a loss. They are almost 4 weeks old but I don't even know what breed they are. My son got them from his agriculture class and his teacher said she had random brown eggs in the incubator. We think they may possibly be Tetra Tints since their feathers are whitish but not a pure white. They all look the same and are still only doing cheeps for sound. Around what age will we be able to tell hens from roosters?

That depends on the breed or cross. It could be at hatch or it could take 6 months to know.
If they are sex linked where the feather color at hatch will signify the sex or a fast feathering line that can only be sexed at 1 or 2 days and then not again till several months.
The breed I raise can be determined by about 2 weeks.
IMO, most breeds aren't discernible till 3 months or more.

The picture I have on my profile was taken 2 days ago. Not sure how well you can see it so I'll post again here. So far only 1 seems to be an attacker. That's the one that's foremost on the left side that looks to be staring the camera down
20191207_120603.jpg
20191207_120602.jpg

You probably have at least one cockerel or possibly one or two more.
Ditto Dat. It'll be more obvious within a couple weeks.

What breed are they? That info would help.
I don't even know what breed they are. My son got them from his agriculture class and his teacher said she had random brown eggs in the incubator. We think they may possibly be Tetra Tints since their feathers are whitish but not a pure white.

Welcome, @crazymom06! I can't sex your chicks for you, but I just wanted to compliment you on your photography. The blue curtain makes a very nice backdrop and shows off your subjects admirably! Are you a professional?

Back
Top Bottom