What age can you tell the sex of muscovy ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluckers&quackers, Jun 14, 2010.

1. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I have 20 muscovy ducklings, I plan to keep a few but would like to wait to decide which ones until I can tell the sex of them.

At what age can you tell just by looking at them what they are?

Right now they all look the same to me...CUTE [​IMG]

Kath8118 likes this.
  2. 4-5 weeks. The older the easier it gets. Some of the drakelets can be identified by 3wks. I had one drakelet last year that grew sooo fast that I was able to identify with NO trouble by 1-2wks. but that isn't usual. Have fun!!!

3. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Ok, thanks so much!! [​IMG] I figure my luck if I just picked some to keep and sold the rest in the end I would end up with all males [​IMG] so if I can tell them apart first that would be better!! [​IMG]

4. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Songster

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I have 7 week old Cayuga's and no curls...does that mean they are all girls??[​IMG]

5. lilchick

lilchick Songster

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    the males are usually much chunkier and bigger than the females. Look like they are all "butt" [​IMG] They have bigger feet also.
    I can sex most other ducks by the sound but since the muscovies lose the quack and just hiss it is a no go that way!
    I have sexed them as early as 4 weeks for buyers and got no complaints so far! good luck.....

6. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I only have one Muscovy duckling, Scooter is a few days short of being a month old. Any tell tale signs that can help me figure out what sex he/she is? Compared to my Pekin and Mallards at that age, Scooter looks to be all feet LOL

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by