What age can you tell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaynaDon95, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    At what age can you usually tell if a chick is a pullet or roo?
    I have some 6 week olds, 5 week olds, 2 week olds, and 2-3 day olds.

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Depends on the breed! I have 10 week old silkies that I won't know till something crows or lays an egg! I have 6 week old Modern game x cochin x something that the difference between little man and his girls is quite clear from their combs! Plus he has started this god aweful, dying cat type crow that is morelike a squeak! All are different!

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    As the above post says, it all depends on the breed. With me Bantam BBS Plymouth Rocks chicks, it's really clear if they are pullets or cockerels when they are as young as 2 weeks old. But with a pair of Orpington chicks, it took me 3 1/2 months to figure it out!

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Well, I know it's different for every breed, I was just wondering if there was general rule. Most of mine are mutts, so I'm not really sure what signs to be watching for. I know the comb/wattles, but honestly, I'm not good at telling the difference until they are almost fully grown. (unless they are just really obvious, like my RedHorn) We are planning on eating the roosters, and I would hate to accidentally butcher up a hen! maybe I should just wait 'til they are all crowing... =P

What age do they usually start crowing? or is that a "depends" kind of thing, too?
    Also, What age is best for butchering? (Please don't say "It depends on the breed!") @[email protected]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by