What age did you start restricting feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oceanseve, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    From what I've read its usually 3 weeks right? These buggers are 1 week old, heavy, eating like mad, and beginning to lose fluff on their chests already. Should I start resticting now?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    If you let them eat as much as they want, at nearly any age, they'll grow faster than their legs can support them. My neighbor did that and they ended up looking like baseballs with legs! Couldn't even stand up... they'd just flop around until they got to the feeder.

I had to put them on a restricted diet of high-protein feed for a few days to save them.

Kathy, Bellville TX

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Many on the BYC have suggested starting at two weeks. I was reading on a hatchery website that said to start as early as 6 days. IMO the earlier you start, the less likely you are to have problems. The result of starting earlier is that it may take longer to get to the desired butchering weight.

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I always do 12 hours on and 12 hours off. As soon as we get them. I never restrict water though.

They do great. I am too scatter-brained to try and keep track of when to restrict-it just works out fine to do it from day one.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That's what I do, and I do that from day 1. They get rations instead of eating themselves to death 24/7.

6. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    I always thought chickens would only eat what they needed..at least that's how I thought they were different from other animals. I have never had any over eat...

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Meat birds (Cornish Rock crosses) will literally eat themselves to death. They go so fast when they eat this way and it causes a lot of health problems for them.

8. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    That makes sense, I see alot of pictures of overweight meat birds... [​IMG]

9. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    I was just wondering about this. I have two Cornish Rocks in with the rest of my chicks and they are eating like crazy. If the food runs out and I stick my hand in there to refill it, they will try to eat my hand. They're about 3 weeks old and are 2-3 times the size of my other chicks. The other day I suggested they were part cow or maybe buffalo, and DH said, "At least we know where buffalo wings come from now."

I can do 12 hours on/12 hours off no problem, but that wouldn't be good for the remaining chicks, right? So I'll need to separate the fat girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by