1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do barred rocks stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckers&quackers, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I am wondering what age barred rocks stop laying eggs? I know that chickens slow down as they age, but wondering the average age of "retirement?

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I've heard of folks with birds over the age of 5 that will still lay at least one egg a week, and some older than that that will kick one out on occasion. I would imagine it would vary with each individual bird.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I don't know about the Barred Rocks, but I had a 13 year old Buff Orpington hen and she was still laying eggs ...[​IMG]

4. cluckers&quackers

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Ok, thanks:D

I am getting some that are going on 2 years old that are coming with some that are under a year old, I was just wondering if I should expect any eggs out of them this summer. They are free so I am not out anything other than feed if they don't lay, but at the same time with all the bugs they will eat out of my yard, it will balance out!![​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Oh yes, I bet you'll be getting some eggs out of them this summer. [​IMG]

6. cluckers&quackers

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Oh I am so glad to hear that!! because the lady said there are 15 + or - of them, plus some younger birds:D

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't know about the Barred Rocks, but I had a 13 year old Buff Orpington hen and she was still laying eggs ...[​IMG]

That is impressive! [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    gonzo&hispeeps :

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

That is impressive! [​IMG]

Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by