What age do chicks shed intestinal lining?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angiebubs, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I didn't receive a response to this in "Managing your Flock" so trying it here....

I noticed some funny looking poops-regular looking poo with some lightpink (Doesnt really look like blood) and from the "poop chart" it looks more like intestinal lining. How young does this start? How often should it happen? This was in my coop of 8 wk olds that Ive raised from day 1-and they are active, eating, drinking and look great otherwise. Anything to be concerned about? (They were on medicated food for the first 6-7 wks)

2. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Any ideas?

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I saw shed intestinal lining in poo from my chicks at about 7 weeks. Freaked me out before I knew what it was because I didn't think chicks that young would have it, but apparently that's what they had.
    Hope that's what you're looking at -

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    YES! Thank you so much! This was not bright red at all, and everyone looks healthy-but thought my 8 wk old chicks were too young for this to happen. So thanks for the post.

5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    You bet - glad to help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by