what age do cockerels start crowing usually?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickie'sMoma, May 1, 2009.

1. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i have a buff orp x silkie. the dad was the silkie and i know that they can take some time to mature, but i thought that the orps were earlier maturing. this one looks like a buff orp and not a silkie.

the bird is now 8 weeks old but i have been hearing what i believe is the beginnings of crowing from what i thought was a female.

this usually only happens when i turn on the light above the pen and get them started for the day. (i still have this one and it's sibling in my house/basement while the coop & fenced area is in the works.) i haven't heard it later in the day/evenings when i check on them.

am i just going crazy or is this really the right time to start hearing a crow out of a future roo?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some cockerels start crowing at the astonishing age of a few days old. Others wait until they are close to a year old or older.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My 8 week old cockerel has been making funny noises for about a week, maybe two. He sounds like.....defective bagpipes [​IMG] Prior to that, he made some interesting clucks for a couple weeks.

My 6 week old cockerel has been making the same interesting clucks for about a week.....I don't doubt he will be defective bagpipes in a few weeks, too.

I didn't realize I bought scottish chickens.....

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I have a two and a half month old splash orpington from MissPrissy. That cockerel crows like crazy when I let them out and then slows down throughout the day.

5. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

One of my cockerels started crowing at just under one month old, so you never know! [​IMG] Genie

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have two white leghorns that started crowing at 4 weeks... it was comical then, now at 10 weeks they are serious crowers.... 6 weeks until they go to freezer camp.

7. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    I have a 12 week old RIR that hasn't crowed at all!! He still peeps like a little chick!

[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The youngest I've had was five DAYS old. It was so weird, I didn't catch on to what he was doing at first. Then I had a couple who crowed at seven days. The oldest beginner was at 18 weeks. Right now, I have two 9-week old Delawares crowing in their coop.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Chickie'sMoma :

i have a buff orp x silkie. the dad was the silkie and i know that they can take some time to mature, but i thought that the orps were earlier maturing. this one looks like a buff orp and not a silkie.

the bird is now 8 weeks old but i have been hearing what i believe is the beginnings of crowing from what i thought was a female.

this usually only happens when i turn on the light above the pen and get them started for the day. (i still have this one and it's sibling in my house/basement while the coop & fenced area is in the works.) i haven't heard it later in the day/evenings when i check on them.

am i just going crazy or is this really the right time to start hearing a crow out of a future roo?

2 months is not too soon. It is a little unusual, but as you can see from the other responses, there isnt much cast in stone.
    One of the reasons for the old school wisdom about keeping single breed flocks was so you could have some predictability. When dealing with cross breeds, and 'yard confetti' mixed flocks, its wise not to expect absolutes. Some people prefer such "spontaneity" in their poultry yard. Other, like myself, do not.

If the bird is indeed a female, then you could be seeing an alpha response. 2 months is not too early for that, either, although you didnt mention if you have other birds. Is this a single or one of many?​

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have a bunch of roos who are 3.5 months. My DH and I have a 3 story house...kids domain is downstairs, living area on main floor and then our room is open to the main floor up on the 3rd. We have those small little windows since it is up so high and keep them open all year round. The other morning about 4am We hear something like a chicken is dying...remember The Little Mermaid, Scuttle? Like that! It was my roo trying to crow!
    I have now ran outside in my bathrobe and stocking feet to see this big boy sit on a stump and make curtling sounds...yeah cant wait for him to actually crow instead of this...now he has two more that want to join in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by