What age do definate signs of roosters show

HayHays97

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Hey guys, I was wondering at what age do chicks show definate signs of being roosters, like what age the combs go red, and things like that? Thanks
smile.png

Depends on the breed, on the bird, etc. Gazpacho, my Quail D'Anver acted roo-ish from the time he hatched.

I have two 17 week old chicks, one is a white leghorn the other an austrolorp (sorry if thats spelt wrong)

I've got some mixed bantams. One crowed at 10 days old. Today at 2 weeks, 2 were crowing at each other. Funny with baby bird sounds though. Bright red combs and ATTITUDE!! I had no idea they would be so rooish so early. The other 3 are much more demure--hopeing for girls!

I had some mixed breed that took me 6 months to figure out. Couldn't go by the comb, because I didn't know what they were mixed with, and some hens have big combs, too! So I had to wait until I heard each of them crowing. I even gave them girl names because I was so convinced they were hens. Oops... not quite. I don't give them a full gender assignment until I either hear them crow, or see that they have really fabulous tails, and start developing big spurs.

But with pure breeds you can tell much easier, especially if you have hens to compare them too. You'll see bigger combs, more color, longer tails, sometimes even taller, longer legs. But a random roo on it's own, it's the crowing that really defines it.!

Thank you for all your help. My chicks faces are getting slightly pinker now and they're 17 wks so I'm hoping they're not roosters I've had them since they were a day old, and I'm living in a place where I'm not allowed roosters. Thanks again
smile.png

My RIRs and BOs were easy to tell by 13 weeks. My DUccles I can tell now and they are only 4 weeks. But in all the breeds I have, mixed and pure, it is definitely easier to tell in comparison. If you could post some pics it would help a lot, especially if we can confirm pullets!!

Ok so this is one of my chicks

102571_022.jpg
[/img]

and this is the other chick

102571_026.jpg

Sorry the second pics a bit blurry

they are both 17wks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom