1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do ducks lay at??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, May 28, 2009.

1. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    Usually at what age do ducks lay at??? I have Buff Orpuington Ducks and I was wondering at what age to they start to lay???

2. SFF

SFF Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    York, PA
    I typically see my pekins starting to lay around 22-25 weeks old.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I should have eggs coming out of my ears by late fall. Until then I just have 1 laying...my runner Chrissy. I got her when she was about 7 months old. Took her a couple of weeks to start laying, but she has been giving me eggs ever since.

4. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I dont know about that breed of duck but my crested and pekin were like 20 weeks...

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    The earliest I have ever had one start laying was about 16-18 weeks. Most of mine, regardless of breed, seem to start though at about 24-28 weeks.

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Yikes, Settler we have a long way to go! ha ha

7. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    My cayuga was nearly 8 months before I saw my first eggs--and then I didn't realize they were hers because I had been thinking she was a he. lol

8. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    my mallards took about 7 months to start laying, and my cayuga didn't lay her first egg until this spring, she quickly went broody to boot LOL, I knew she'd always wanted to be a momma, I'm just upset she never got to R.I.P lyra [​IMG]

9. brittkett

brittkett Just Hatched

Oct 28, 2016
    My female Peking is 20 weeks old, and it is December, just started to average 30 degree temperature at night. Will she begin to lay soon, or will she start laying in the spring when the weather is warmer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by