What age do roos start to crow?

chisNchickens

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have a RIR roo who is 18 weeks and has yet to crow. He is definitely a roo, supposed to be a pullet but I understand sexing is usually 95% at best. He is with four RIR pullets the same age. I have three month old d'uccles already crowing but nothing from the RIR. Do they mature slower? Just curious. Also, he has not yet exhibited a mean bone in his body - so far so good!

My rooster started crowing at 3 months of age, and my other (assuming he's a rooster which i think he is) hasn't started crowing yet and they are 4 months old now. My chicks are Silkies, but every chicken is different
smile.png
yours will probably start crowing very soon!

It varies a LOT. My youngest to crow, if you count the squeaky door hinge sound, was a precocious brown leghorn who did it at 2 wks. My bantam brahma boys take a lot longer -- I think the earliest that one of them crowed was 5 wks (again, just the squeaky door hinge, not a mature sounding crow), and some of them took a few months.

Quote:
haha takes a while for them to perfect their cock-a-doodle-doo
big_smile.png
I remember mine sounded like it had like a sore throat or something, but gradually it sounds more "professional"

Back
Top Bottom