What age do roos start to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chisNchickens, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have a RIR roo who is 18 weeks and has yet to crow. He is definitely a roo, supposed to be a pullet but I understand sexing is usually 95% at best. He is with four RIR pullets the same age. I have three month old d'uccles already crowing but nothing from the RIR. Do they mature slower? Just curious. Also, he has not yet exhibited a mean bone in his body - so far so good!

2. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    My rooster started crowing at 3 months of age, and my other (assuming he's a rooster which i think he is) hasn't started crowing yet and they are 4 months old now. My chicks are Silkies, but every chicken is different [​IMG] yours will probably start crowing very soon!

3. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks. Hubby just can't wait...NOT. [​IMG]

4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    It varies a LOT. My youngest to crow, if you count the squeaky door hinge sound, was a precocious brown leghorn who did it at 2 wks. My bantam brahma boys take a lot longer -- I think the earliest that one of them crowed was 5 wks (again, just the squeaky door hinge, not a mature sounding crow), and some of them took a few months.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    My BR and my EE's all crowed around 6-8 weeks

6. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    I have some about 12-13 weeks and they are trying to crow....its pretty funny. [​IMG]

7. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Quote:haha takes a while for them to perfect their cock-a-doodle-doo [​IMG] I remember mine sounded like it had like a sore throat or something, but gradually it sounds more "professional"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by