What age do roosters spurs come in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jamin Mayer, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Jamin Mayer

Jamin Mayer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Longmont
    I have a variety of 13 week old chickens. (We have 14 in all). I have no idea if I have on rooster in the bunch. By watching their behavior, I sort of think I have some (or one). But, I dunno... [​IMG]

However, every chicken I have has a bump behind the leg, but none are growing out to make it difinitive as to who is the rooster. (And I understand the bump behind the leg is normal).

When we bought the chicks I think 5 of them were straight run, so I had a 50% chance of getting a rooster with the 5 straight runs.

I have searched the internet, but no specific time line for the spurs to be evident.

Anyone know how many weeks spurs come out? [​IMG]

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    first roosters and hens both can have spurs, more roosters than hens. as you see all have them, and some of my hens spurs are just as large as a rooster. age 3 to 6 months, lot other things to look for like tail feathers comb size and color. those will show first.

At 13 weeks roosters should stand out by comb and feathers.........

3. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    If you can, post pictures over in the "What Breed or Gender" section. You should get some good answers there.

4. Jamin Mayer

Apr 18, 2010
    Longmont
    Quote:Good info. That is helpful.

5. Jamin Mayer

Apr 18, 2010
    Longmont
    Quote:Thanks for that tip.

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    also.. the body shape of roosters is completely different. they are much more "upright" and "leggier."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by